Does Automist Smartscan comply with the requirements of BS 8458?
Yes. Automist Smartscan Hydra conforms to BS 8458:2015 Fixed fire protection systems – Residential and domestic water mist systems – Code of practice for design and installation.
- Automist Smartscan Exova Warrington fire test report - BS 8458:2015 - Annex C.pdf
- Automist Smartscan third-party BS 8458 verification - BSi BS 8458:2015 Verification Certificate.pdf
- Detailed BS 8458 conformity information - Design, Installation and Operation Manual.pdf
- Manufacturer's Declaration of Conformity - Plumis Hydra BS 8458 MDOC.pdf
As per BS 0:2016, clause 9.4.1:
‘As a code of practice, this British Standard takes the form of guidance and recommendations. It should not be quoted as if it were a specification, and particular care should be taken to ensure that claims of compliance are not misleading.
Any user claiming compliance with this British Standard is expected to be able to justify any course of action that deviates from its recommendations.
Users of standards may justify the substitution of any of the recommendations in a code of practice with practices of equivalent or better outcomes.’
The table below explains how Automist conforms with the clauses of BS 8458 and outlines where substitutions have been made to improve outcomes:
- What is a BSi Verification Certificate?
- Fire Tests
- Probabilistic Modelling of Automist in Open Plan Dwellinghouses
In carrying out a review of both the performance objectives of suppression systems in dwellinghouses and the Plumis Automist documentation and research to date, sufficient evidence has been found to indicate that the system can typically perform equivalent to or better than the minimum expectations of a domestic sprinkler system conforming to BS 9251:2021.
- Estimating the Suppression Performance of an Electronically Controlled Residential Water Mist System from BS 8458:2015 Fire Test Data
- Calculating a reliability target for Automist
- Replicating the activation time of electronically controlled watermist system nozzles in B-RISK
Automist has an effective RTI of 20 m½s½ and C factor of 0.25 m½s-½. The measured activation times of Automist can be 2.0 to 13.7 times faster than a concealed sprinkler, this significantly impacts its ability to aid means of escape.